Women and Men Quotes
Top 30 Women and Men
No 1 (Best quote!)
I do not wish them [women] to have power over men; but over themselves
Wollstonecraft (1759-1797), English pioneer of women’s rights, pictured right.
Power has no sex
- Katharine Graham (1917-2001), owner of the
Washington Post, pictured right.
It is easier to live through someone else than to become complete yourself.
- Betty Friedan, pictured right ,The
Feminine Mystique (1963).
Friedan also comments:
Men will only be truly liberated to love women, and to be fully themselves, when women are liberated,
Woman must not accept, she must challenge.
- Margaret Sanger (1879-1966),
American feminist, pictured right.
So long as women are slaves, men will be knaves.
- Elizabeth Cady
Stanton (1815-1902), American feminist, pictured right.
If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything.
- Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962),
American film star (pictured right).
All women become like their mothers. That is their
tragedy. No man does. That's his.
(from The Importance of Being
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900), Irish
writer, pictured right.
Heaven has no rage, like love to hatred turned,
Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorned.
(from the 1697 poem The Mourning Bride)
- William Congreve (1670-1729), pictured right, English writer.
I want to be something so much worthier than the doll in the doll's house,
(Bella in the 1865 novel Our Mutual Friend)
- Charles Dickens (1812-70),
pictured right, English writer.
Yes, injured woman! rise, assert thy right!
(from the 1792 poem The Rights of Woman)
- Anna Laetitia Barbauld (1743-1825), pictured right, English writer.
She who has never loved, has never lived.
(from the 1724 play The Captives)
- John Gay (1685-1732), pictured right, English writer.
A woman is like a teabag -only in hot water do you realize how strong she is.
Roosevelt (1884-1962), pictured right, American human rights campaigner
(later said by Nancy Reagan (1921- ), pictured right below, wife of the American
president, Ronald Reagan)
She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon.
- Groucho Marx (1890-1977), American comedian and film and TV star, pictured right.
Marx also says:
A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.
One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
- Simone de Beauvoir, pictured
right.,Second Sex (1949)
Why have women passion, intellect, moral activity...and a place in society where no one of the three can be
Nightingale (1820-1910), English nurse, pictured right.
A woman’s truest place is in a home, with a husband and with children.
- Lucy Stone (1818-93), American
campaigner for women’s rights, pictured right.
A woman watches her body uneasily, as though it were an unreliable ally in the battle for love.
- Leonard Cohen, pictured right, The Favourite Game (1963)
In societies where men are truly confident of their own worth, women are not merely tolerated but valued.
- Aung San Suu Kyi (1945-), pictured
right,Burmese political leader
A woman should soften but not weaken a man.
- Sigmund Freud (1856-1939),
Austrian psychiatrist, pictured right.
Men aren't necessities. They're luxuries.
- Cher (1946- ), pictured right, American singer and actress.
When women have full rights, they still remain fatally downtrodden because all housework is left to them.
- Lenin (1870-1924), pictured right, Russian
Every woman has the right to be beautiful.
- Elizabeth Arden (1884-1966), pictured
right, Canadian-born American cosmetics boss.
Estée Lauder (1906-2004), pictured right,
another American cosmetics boss, also comments:
Beauty is an attitude...There are no ugly women, only women who don’t care or who don’t believe they’re
When women go wrong, men go right after them.
- Mae West, the American actress, pictured right, in the 1933 film, She Done Him
Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress,
- Coco Chanel (1883-1971),
French fashion designer and businesswoman (pictured right).
You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy.
- Erica Jong (1942- ), pictured right, American writer.
Marge, I’m going to miss you so much. And it’s not just the sex! It’s also the food preparation.,
- Homer Simpson, pictured right, American cartoon character (speaking to his wife, Marge).
If there is anything disagreeable going on, men are always sure to get out of it
(from the 1817 novel Persuasion)
- Jane Austen (1775-1817), pictured
right, English writer.
In Jane Austen's 1815 novel Emma Emma
Woodhouse also comments:
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other,
If men had to have babies, they would only have one each.
- Princess Diana (1961-97), pictured right, in late pregnancy with Prince Harry.
Women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties and a field for their efforts,
(from the 1847 novel Jane Eyre)
- Charlotte Brontë (1816-55),
English writer, pictured right
The ultimate by-product of women's liberation is the liberation of men from the incubus of having to seal
themselves up in an office for 40 years to support a totally dependent wife,
- Marya Mannes (1904-90), pictured right, American writer.