Top 10 Advertising Quotes
No 1 (Best
Advertising and promotion alone will not sustain a bad product or a product that is not right for the times.
- Akio Morita (1921-1999), co-founder of Sony
Scott Adams (pictured right) in The Dilbert Principle (1996)
Good advertising can make people buy your product even if it sucks. That’s important because it takes the
pressure off you to make great products.
Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.
- Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer (pictured right)
The best advertising is done by satisfied customers
- Philip Kotler , American marketing professor (pictured
J.C. Penney (1875-1971), the American co-founder of
J. C. Penney department stores (pictured right), agrees:
Courteous treatment will make a customer a walking advertisement.
The medium is the message.
- Marshall McLuhan (1911–80) Canadian communications
writer (pictured right)
Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, and the trouble is I don't know which half.
- William Lever (1851–1925) English businessman (pictured right), founder of Lever
Brothers (Unilever from 1930)
Promise, large promise, is the soul of an advertisement.
- Samuel Johnson (1709–84) English writer, pictured right
So John Lahr (1941- ), American critic, pictured
Society drives people crazy with lust and calls it advertising.
Go to work on an egg.
(advertising slogan for the British Egg Marketing Board)
- Fay Weldon (1931- ), English writer (pictured right).
The Indian-born British writer, Salman Rushdie (1947- ) ,pictured right, coined another great
slogan for cream cakes:
Naughty but nice
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from
- Stephen Leacock (1869–1944), Canadian writer, pictured right.
The hidden persuaders (book title)
- Vance Packard (1914–97), Canadian writer, pictured
Never write an advertisement which you wouldn’t want your family to read.
- David Ogilvy (pictured right), Confessions of an Advertising Man (1963).