David Beckham - Money and Success
David Beckham (1975- )
English footballer (pictured right) who had a great career with Manchester United and England.
Married to ex-“Posh” Spice Girl, Victoria, with their sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz and
daughter, Harper Seven.
Why is he successful and rich?
1. Modern icon
Beckham (pictured right in 2012):
- is a worldwide style icon and role model.
- likes the responsibility of children looking up to him.
“Whatever people say, I’ve always tried to do the right thing”, he says.
2. Naughty but nice
His faults (alleged affairs, send-offs and temper tantrums) make him look more human.
But, most of all, people like him, because he’s a nice guy.
- polite, punctual and humble - he hasn't let
fame go to his head.
- loyal and loving to his family (pictured right) and
- true to himself and his principles.
- a great worker for charity
When he joined the French club in 2013, Paris Saint-Germain, he gave his five month salary to a local
3. Great footballer and learner
Natural talent and lots of hard work made him one of the world’s
- wants to improve.
- is prepared to listen to other people’s advice.
Apart from his Dad, the biggest influences on his career were at Manchester United:
- Eric Harrison (the youth team coach).
- Alex Ferguson (the manager, pictured
right together when Beckham was a young boy) despite their famous argument when Ferguson accidentally kicked a
boot at Beckham and cut his eye.
4. Captain Fantastic
He led England (pictured right) by example through:
- encouraging his teammates
- taking difficult decisions (like taking the penalty against Argentina in the 2002
He loves giving himself challenging objectives that push him to make the most of his
6. Posh and
David and Victoria (pictured right in 2007) are great
friends and love each other and their children to bits.
Marriage isn’t easy, if you’re constantly bothered by
- reporters and photographers.
- kidnap threats (in 2002 five people were arrested for planning to kidnap Victoria, Brooklyn and Romeo for a
£5 million ransom).
Victoria gives a big boost to his global image.
7. Determination and support
Beckham had to overcome many problems and disappointments:
- his Mum and Dad’s divorce (with the guilt he might have contributed to it).
- constant media harassment and family threats (see point
- football defeats (particularly England’s defeat in the 2002 World Cup).
Key quote on
I still look at myself and want to improve.
Key quote on
Whatever people say, I’ve always tried to do the right thing.
Key quote on marriage and
My marriage and my family are precious to me. So precious I don’t know what life would be without them.