Naomi Klein (1970- )
Canadian management writer and campaigner against globalization and big business (pictured right).
Global corporations (like McDonald’s and Coca-Cola) and their “global web” of logos and brands are harmful for
1. No Space
Local culture and education being taken over by global brands and marketing.
2. No Choice
Global brands reduce consumer choice through:
- market dominance (like Wal-Mart Stores).,
- acquisitions of (or mergers with) local firms.
- franchising (like Starbucks).
- legal protection of global brand names to stop people criticizing them.
3. No Jobs
- are wealth creators not job creators, benefiting rich countries at the expense of poor
- transfer production to lower wage countries overseas.
- offer part-time/temporary low paid, unskilled, stressful work (McJobs).
People are suffering because of a “global web” of logos and brands (like Coca-Cola and Nike).
These three disadvantages of global corporations have led to...No
The book’s title represents a protest movement against global corporations (particularly those with strong brand
This campaign promotes
- local cultures and the environment.
- the interests of ordinary people.
- people's right to govern themselves rather than being exploited by global corporations.
Key quote on globalization
We are indeed connected to one another through a web of brands.
This Changes Everything (2014)
The only way to beat climate change is a revolution
to overthrow capitalism and market economics .