Art - Success
Andrew Wyeth, Christina’s World (1948)
The conquest of life’s problems through:
- the triumph of the human spirit.
A woman in her 50’s (the American Christina Olson)
- overcomes her physical disability (parlaysis from the waist down).
- slowly crawls towards the farmhouse.
George Bellows, Dempsey and Firpo
The Argentinian boxer, Luis Firpo, knocking down the American, Jack
Dempsey, in their 1923 world heavyweight boxing match
Dempsey went on to win.
J. Howard Miller, We Can Do It! (1942)
A World War Two poster to boost worker morale.
John Singleton Copley, Watson and the Shark (1778)
This shows that life can sometimes be on a knife edge between
The 14-year-old Brook Watson:
- survived the shark attack in Havana harbour in 1749.
- eventually became Lord Mayor of London.
Winslow Homer, The Life Line (1884)
This sea rescue shows:
- how easily success can turn into failure.
Piero della Francesca, The Resurrection (c1460)
- the resurrected Jesus triumphing over the sleeping
- how you can transform your life with or without religion.
The favourite painting of the management writer, Charles
Edgar Degas, The Dance Class (1875)
These young ballerinas at the Paris Opera show that success requires: